‘Parents listen to teachers. Politicians listen to parents.’Headteacher, Bath
We are a group of parents based in Bath and North East Somerset with growing concerns about the situation in our schools.
We have spoken with head teachers at the schools our children attend and the regional National Association of Head Teachers Union rep. All explain that:
- Schools staff members are in a difficult position to speak up about the impact of the cuts.
- The situation is worsening – now some very tough decisions are being made (including cuts in Teaching Assistant hours, staff not being replaced).
- Decisions made by central government are key – and the most effective way to challenge these decisions is to come together as parents (and voters).
Our goals are to:
- Form an alliance across parents at all schools in Bath & North East Somerset – we currently comprise St Andrews, Widcombe and Larkhall St Saviours Junior
- Raise awareness of the issues amongst parents (it’s not a ‘school gate’ issue at the moment – we think it would be if people were more aware of the facts).
- Collect stories about the impact.
- Create a mass petition to hand over to our local MPs.